At 1 p.m. today, firefighters from Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue (TVF&R) and Lake Oswego Fire Department were dispatched to a house fire in the 5k block of SW Lee Street in Tualatin. After 911 dispatchers received multiple calls about the fire, the incident was immediately upgraded to a first alarm to ensure adequate resources were sent to the scene.
First incoming crews from TVF&R’s Tualatin fire station arrived to find heavy fire and dark grey smoke coming from the garage and began aggressive fire attack measures. Additional crews quickly searched the home to confirm all occupants had evacuated and to locate two cats who were reportedly still inside. Firefighters determined the occupants had safely evacuated and found the two cats, who were unharmed, and moved them to a safe location.
The fire was extinguished minutes after firefighters arrived, limiting the majority of the damage to the garage with minor extension into the living space above the garage.
Unfortunately, the house is not habitable due to damage the fire caused to the utilities feeding the house. Two adults and two pet cats are displaced because of the fire. Their homeowners insurance has arranged temporary housing and will ensure they receive any other essential needs.
A TVF&R fire investigator has determined that the fire originated within the vehicle in the garage. The fire investigator and investigators from the insurance company are currently on scene to determine the source that ignited the fire.
TVF&R was assisted today by Washington County Consolidated Communications Agency (911 dispatch), Lake Oswego Fire Department, Tualatin Police Department, Metro West Ambulance, Portland General Electric and NW Natural Gas.