View Archived News Releases (From January 1 - June 30, 2013 )

News Flash


Posted on: June 22, 2020

Improper Disposal of Smoking Materials Causes Fire in Washington County


Just before 3a.m. this morning, a person driving to work called 9-1-1 to report a house fire in the 300 block of NW 334th Avenue west of Hillsboro in unincorporated Washington County.

Firefighters from Hillsboro Fire & Rescue arrived first to find a two-story house with fire and smoke visible. Firefighters entered the house to fight the fire, conduct a search to confirm that all occupants were out, and shut off utilities. Crews extinguished the fire in less than twenty minutes and spent another hour mopping up hot spots, clearing smoke from the home and salvaging belongings. No one was injured.


A TVF&R fire investigator processed the scene and interviewed the sole resident. The investigator determined that improper disposal of smoking materials stored on a wooden deck caused the fire. The fire quickly spread from the outside into the walls and traveled quickly up to the attic space. The resident awoke to the smell of smoke and evacuated the house, which did not have working smoke alarms or a residential fire sprinkler system. The resident received assistance from the American Red Cross. 

Thank you to our public safety partners who worked at or supported this incident: Hillsboro Fire & Rescue, Cornelius Fire Department, American Red Cross, Washington County Consolidated Communications Agency (911), Washington County Sheriff’s Office and Metro West Ambulance.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in TVF&R

Firefighter working at residential fire in Aloha

Aloha House Fire Claims One Life

Posted on: October 27, 2023
Put a Lid on Kitchen Fires - Firefighter slides lid over pan on stove

Cooking Safety Starts with YOU

Posted on: October 1, 2023
Volunteer Open House Flyer with photos of fire scene support and antique fire trucks

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: January 6, 2023

TVF&R is Prepared for Weekend Wind Event

Posted on: September 9, 2022

TVF&R Receives Superior Credit Rating

Posted on: February 15, 2022
Tuckerwood House Fire

Firefighters Battle House Fire in Beaverton

Posted on: September 16, 2021
Bureker Truck 56

TVF&R Promotes First Female Captain

Posted on: September 16, 2021

Fire Destroys Unoccupied Home in Beaverton

Posted on: September 7, 2021

TVF&R Receives COVID-19 Vaccines

Posted on: December 30, 2020
Preview of Safety First Newsletter Home Page

TVF&R Launches 'Safety First' Newsletter

Posted on: December 7, 2020
Burn Ban

High Fire Danger Burn Ban Lifted

Posted on: September 30, 2020

Notice of TVF&R Budget Hearing

Posted on: June 4, 2020
beaverton townhouse fire_65

Apartment Fire Displaces Eight

Posted on: April 17, 2020
Firefighters work to extinguish Tigard house fire

Person Found Dead in Tigard Home Fire

Posted on: March 24, 2020
COVID-19 image


Posted on: March 13, 2020
Crews complete hose drill with new training trailer

TVF&R Unveils New Training Trailer

Posted on: December 13, 2019
night rehab volunteers

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: November 26, 2019

Residential Fire in Tualatin

Posted on: November 2, 2019
Fourplex 1

Beaverton Fourplex Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 29, 2019

Beaverton Home Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 13, 2019

Firefighters Battle Aloha House Fire

Posted on: March 31, 2017