At 7:32 p.m. on March 20, 911 dispatchers were alerted to a residential fire on SW Chaucer Court in Durham. The caller was a resident of the home. He reported that he and another person had evacuated, but they were both injured. Other callers to 911 reported the sound of explosions and concerns that a nearby home was threatened by the fire.
Firefighters arrived shortly afterward and began providing medical treatment to the man and woman who had evacuated the burning home. Both were transported to an area hospital by Metro West Ambulance.
Meanwhile, teams of firefighters began attacking the fire and searching the home to ensure no other occupants were inside the house.
With flames through the roof of the home, and heavy black smoke pushing out the windows, firefighters pulled multiple hose lines to attack the fire. These actions stopped the spread of the fire, saving neighboring homes.
Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue investigators determined that the fire was accidental and is likely related to smoking near an oxygen source. Sadly, investigators learned that one person died at the hospital.