Posted on: April 26, 2018
Eleven People Displaced Due to Fire in Beaverton Apartment Complex
First-arriving firefighters observed flames shooting through the roof. Some firefighters began to fight the fire from outside the building while others searched the units closest to the fire to ensure that all of the people and pets were safely evacuated.
Prior to firefighters’ arrival, a grounds employee was able to get two dogs out of an apartment adjacent to the fire unit. Two people were evaluated by medical personnel at the scene but were released and uninjured. No firefighters were injured either.
The incident commander called a second alarm to bring more firefighters to the scene to help with fire suppression, salvaging tenants’ furniture and valuables and removing charred siding and roofing to prevent the fire from rekindling. A thermal imaging camera was used to ensure that there were no hot spots in walls, floors or the shared attic space.
Two units experienced fire damage. An additional four units sustained smoke and water damage. None of the 11 people who live in the building (which contains eight units total) will be able to return to their homes this evening. The American Red Cross is assisting them with lodging, food and other needs. All residents had renter’s insurance. There is no damage estimate at this time.
A TVF&R fire investigator has determined that the fire was accidental and the most probable cause was improper disposal of smoking materials in a cardboard box stored on a patio.