Firefighters responded to a residential fire that started just before 6:00 p.m. this evening in the 20000 block of SW 69th street in Tualatin. The homeowners reported hearing smoke alarms and seeing black smoke coming from the second story of their home. Both residents and their pets quickly evacuated the home and safely waited for crews to arrive. The incident was immediately upgraded to a first alarm to bring in adequate resources to the scene.
Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue firefighters from Engine 34 arrived within five minutes to find black pressurized smoke filling the home, resulting in zero visibility as they began a fire attack. Several additional resources arrived shortly after, and as a team, had control of the fire in just under 20 minutes.
A Fire Investigator from Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue has determined the fire was accidental and originated in an electronic furnace air filter located in the garage. Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue was assisted on scene by Washington County Consolidated Communications Agency (911 dispatch), Lake Oswego Fire and Rescue, Portland General Electric, Northwest Natural, and MetroWest Ambulance.
Fortunately, the home had working smoke alarms which provided warning and allowed residents time to safely evacuate with their pets. The home did not have a fire sprinkler system. When a fire sprinkler system is present, the likelihood of injuries and costly damage is dramatically reduced. More information about fire sprinkler systems can be found at: http://www.tvfr.com/index.aspx?nid=144