News Flash module icon

View Archived News Releases (From January 1 - June 30, 2013 )

News Flash

TVF&R

Posted on: July 28, 2018

Roof Vent Fire at Washington Square Causes Mall Evacuation

Washington Square Mall Food Court
Just before 4 p.m. today, multiple calls to 911 reported flames and black smoke coming from the roof of the food court at Washington Square Mall in Tigard. To ensure the safety of the patrons and employees, quick action by mall management and security prompted a full evacuation of the mall with assistance from Tigard Police.

Firefighters from multiple Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue (TVF&R) stations in Tigard, along with the Battalion Chief, arrived within minutes of being dispatched to the scene and found a dark column of smoke coming from the roof of the mall building. Due to the descriptions provided by callers to 911 and significant dark smoke billowing from the roof, the call was immediately upgraded to a second alarm. The upgrade would ensure enough firefighting resources were on scene to quickly access and extinguish the fire, if it had also extended into the mall’s interior.

Firefighters gained access to the roof and extinguished the fire in a grease vent. They then checked for extension inside the food court area, where only minor residual smoke was found. After mall maintenance staff assisted with ventilating the smoke, mall goers were allowed to return to the mall’s first floor only. The food court remained temporarily closed.

Approximately two weeks ago, firefighters from TVF&R Progress Station 53, mall management, and mall security proactively performed a training drill, where the scenario was a fire in the food court area. This is one of many types of training drills performed at Washington Square Mall, to ensure all parties familiarize themselves with the large building and enhance collaboration and coordination skills. This invaluable training from two weeks ago was put to work today, resulting in an efficient and effective response by all involved agencies and mall staff.

The TVF&R investigator confirmed that the fire started in the kitchen of a restaurant located in the food court. No injuries were reported.
Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in TVF&R

flameless_candle_4_thumb.jpg

Keep the Holidays Merry

Posted on: December 1, 2017

Spread Holiday Cheer for Children in Need

Posted on: November 16, 2017

Fire District Eclipse Preparations

Posted on: August 18, 2017

Firefighters Battle Aloha House Fire

Posted on: March 31, 2017
2016 Toy Drive.JPG

Spread Holiday Cheer for Children in Need

Posted on: November 17, 2016

Home Visits Enhance Patient Care

Posted on: November 8, 2016
IMG_4631.JPG

Newberg and TVF&R Join Forces

Posted on: July 1, 2016

Spread Holiday Cheer for Children in Need

Posted on: November 23, 2015

TVF&R Firefighters ‘Go Pink’

Posted on: October 8, 2015
New-Station-70.jpg

TVF&R Opens New Station 70 in Raleigh Hills

Posted on: September 30, 2015

TVF&R Welcomes Its Newest Recruits

Posted on: February 3, 2015
PROJ MISC BEAVERTON FORUM 2014 03 19 sm.jpg

Beaverton Community Vision Update

Posted on: March 17, 2014
PulsePoint App

Happy Birthday PulsePoint!

Posted on: January 29, 2014