View Archived News Releases (From January 1 - June 30, 2013 )

News Flash


Posted on: January 29, 2018

TVF&R and Local Partners Teach Hands-Only CPR at Washington Square Mall for Heart Month

2016 WashSqMall - SM.jpg
Join Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue firefighters, Tigard Police, Valley Catholic Middle School students and Legacy Health to learn hands-only CPR at Washington Square Mall on Saturday, February 3, from noon to 3 p.m. in the event space below the food court. Students, nurses, police officers and firefighters will demonstrate how easy it is to perform hands-only CPR by allowing guests to practice the skill on mannequins.

Valley Catholic Middle School and Legacy Meridian Park’s Middle School Healthy Hearts Program have been instrumental leaders in teaching thousands of others hands-only CPR. Law enforcement agencies have also partnered with TVF&R to increase cardiac arrest survivability. Many officers and deputies throughout Washington County are trained to respond to cardiac arrest calls. Specifically, all Tigard patrol vehicles now carry an automated external defibrillator (AED) and respond to cardiac arrest calls.

Rebecca Lesley, senior marketing manager at Washington Square states, "At Washington Square, our team members are trained and certified in CPR and AEDs every year. We have seen this training result in lives saved at the mall. We support efforts to teach this lifesaving skill to our guests and retailers and expand the network of community members who are trained to respond to a cardiac emergency."

For the entire month of February, you can expect to see TVF&R firefighters wearing red t-shirts to promote conversation and action regarding heart health and steps to take in a cardiac emergency.

Already know hands-only CPR? Download the free PulsePoint app today! It will alert you if someone nearby in a public place needs bystander CPR and instruct you on the location of the nearest publically accessible AED.

According to the American Heart Association, more than 326,000 people experience cardiac arrest each year before getting to a hospital and about 90 percent do not survive. Because a patient’s chance of survival decreases by 10 percent for each minute without CPR from the time of arrest, bystander intervention is crucial. When community members are willing and able to provide early CPR, and AEDs are readily available, the chances of a patient surviving a cardiac event increase.
Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in TVF&R

Firefighter working at residential fire in Aloha

Aloha House Fire Claims One Life

Posted on: October 27, 2023
Put a Lid on Kitchen Fires - Firefighter slides lid over pan on stove

Cooking Safety Starts with YOU

Posted on: October 1, 2023
Volunteer Open House Flyer with photos of fire scene support and antique fire trucks

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: January 6, 2023

TVF&R is Prepared for Weekend Wind Event

Posted on: September 9, 2022

TVF&R Receives Superior Credit Rating

Posted on: February 15, 2022
Tuckerwood House Fire

Firefighters Battle House Fire in Beaverton

Posted on: September 16, 2021
Bureker Truck 56

TVF&R Promotes First Female Captain

Posted on: September 16, 2021

Fire Destroys Unoccupied Home in Beaverton

Posted on: September 7, 2021

TVF&R Receives COVID-19 Vaccines

Posted on: December 30, 2020
Preview of Safety First Newsletter Home Page

TVF&R Launches 'Safety First' Newsletter

Posted on: December 7, 2020
Burn Ban

High Fire Danger Burn Ban Lifted

Posted on: September 30, 2020

Notice of TVF&R Budget Hearing

Posted on: June 4, 2020
beaverton townhouse fire_65

Apartment Fire Displaces Eight

Posted on: April 17, 2020
Firefighters work to extinguish Tigard house fire

Person Found Dead in Tigard Home Fire

Posted on: March 24, 2020
COVID-19 image


Posted on: March 13, 2020
Crews complete hose drill with new training trailer

TVF&R Unveils New Training Trailer

Posted on: December 13, 2019
night rehab volunteers

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: November 26, 2019

Residential Fire in Tualatin

Posted on: November 2, 2019
Fourplex 1

Beaverton Fourplex Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 29, 2019

Beaverton Home Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 13, 2019

Firefighters Battle Aloha House Fire

Posted on: March 31, 2017