News Flash module icon

View Archived News Releases (From January 1 - June 30, 2013 )
News Flash Home
The original item was published from 7/16/2021 9:21:47 AM to 3/17/2022 12:00:07 AM.

News Flash


Posted on: July 16, 2021

[ARCHIVED] FEMA Grant-Funded Safety Gear Deployed to Firefighters

New Scott 3X Pro SCBA

On Monday, July 12, 235 new Scott 3X Pro self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) and 700 air cylinders were deployed on all Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue frontline fire apparatus, thanks to a FEMA Assistance to Firefighters Grant. 

The grant application was submitted on behalf of all Washington County fire agencies by Forest Grove Fire & Rescue. Awarded grant funds were allocated to TVF&R, Forest Grove Fire & Rescue, Forest Grove Rural Fire Protection District, Cornelius Fire Department, Cornelius Rural Fire Protection District, Gaston Rural Fire District, Banks Fire District, and Hillsboro Fire & Rescue to replace their current air pack equipment that was nearing and/or had reached their end of service life.

Extensive testing of multiple brands of SCBAs was performed before picking an option that included technological innovations and universal features that greatly improve firefighter performance and safety when battling fires. Advancements include enhanced communication and amplification, which is critical to ensuring efficient and effective firefighting efforts and overall safety for responders. The selected air pack is also more ergonomic and lighter weight, allowing for a wider range of motion and reduced risk of injury. 

“Replacing our air packs to the Scott 3X Pro model will be a game changer when it comes to firefighter performance and safety,” states TVF&R Respiratory Protection Program Coordinator, John Lee, who led the deployment effort Monday. “The new SCBAs have technologically advanced capabilities that far surpass our existing, aged equipment. We are grateful for the coordinated effort by our Washington County fire agency partners, who helped secure the grant, making this SCBA replacement come to fruition.”

The FEMA grant awarded to the Washington County fire agencies will cover 90% of overall costs for the regional SCBA replacement, with each agency contributing to the remaining 10% of the cost. By coordinating regionally, this also standardized equipment with all fire agencies, who often respond mutually on larger fires. 

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in TVF&R

Volunteer Open House Flyer with photos of fire scene support and antique fire trucks

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: January 6, 2023

TVF&R is Prepared for Weekend Wind Event

Posted on: September 9, 2022

TVF&R Receives Superior Credit Rating

Posted on: February 15, 2022
Tuckerwood House Fire

Firefighters Battle House Fire in Beaverton

Posted on: September 16, 2021
Bureker Truck 56

TVF&R Promotes First Female Captain

Posted on: September 16, 2021

Fire Destroys Unoccupied Home in Beaverton

Posted on: September 7, 2021

TVF&R Receives COVID-19 Vaccines

Posted on: December 30, 2020
Preview of Safety First Newsletter Home Page

TVF&R Launches 'Safety First' Newsletter

Posted on: December 7, 2020
Burn Ban

High Fire Danger Burn Ban Lifted

Posted on: September 30, 2020

Notice of TVF&R Budget Hearing

Posted on: June 4, 2020
beaverton townhouse fire_65

Apartment Fire Displaces Eight

Posted on: April 17, 2020
Firefighters work to extinguish Tigard house fire

Person Found Dead in Tigard Home Fire

Posted on: March 24, 2020
COVID-19 image


Posted on: March 13, 2020
Crews complete hose drill with new training trailer

TVF&R Unveils New Training Trailer

Posted on: December 13, 2019
night rehab volunteers

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: November 26, 2019

Residential Fire in Tualatin

Posted on: November 2, 2019
Fourplex 1

Beaverton Fourplex Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 29, 2019

Beaverton Home Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 13, 2019

Firefighters Battle Aloha House Fire

Posted on: March 31, 2017
2016 Toy Drive.JPG

Spread Holiday Cheer for Children in Need

Posted on: November 17, 2016

Home Visits Enhance Patient Care

Posted on: November 8, 2016

TVF&R Firefighters ‘Go Pink’

Posted on: October 8, 2015

TVF&R Opens New Station 70 in Raleigh Hills

Posted on: September 30, 2015

TVF&R Welcomes Its Newest Recruits

Posted on: February 3, 2015