A TVF&R fire investigator has determined that the cause of last night's residential fire in Tualatin was hot embers landing on top of a cedar shake roof from an operating wood stove. Damage is estimated at $75,000.
At 5:05 pm, callers to 9-1-1 reported seeing smoke and flames coming from the roof of a residence located at 11420 SW Roberts Ct. in Tualatin. Within three minutes, firefighters from Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue Station 35 (King City) arrived on scene.
The home's roof was compromised in multiple locations, making it unsafe for firefighters to ladder onto the roof. Truck 51's aerial platform was raised to allow firefighters to visualize the fire from above, while other crews initiated an aggressive interior attack.
Of particular concern for the incident commander was the fact that the home had a cedar shake roof and strong winds were blowing during fire suppression operations. Firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to nearby homes and had the fire knocked down less than 20 minutes after arrival.
Fortunately, the homeowner and their pets were away from the home at the time of the fire and nobody was injured. A fire investigator is currently on scene looking into the cause of the fire.
With temperatures expected to drop down near freezing tonight, TVF&R reminds fireplace and woodstove users to follow these tips for a warm and safe fire:
* Have your chimney and flue pipes cleaned and inspected regularly,
* Make sure your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are working,
* Before lighting your fire, make sure the flue is unobstructed and the damper is open,
* Never leave your fire unattended,
* And lastly, dispose of cooled ashes in a metal container with a tight fitting lid and store the can far away from any combustibles. Ashes can remain hot for several days!