TVF&R reminds fireplace and woodstove users to follow these tips for a warm, but safe, fire.
• Have your chimney and flue pipes cleaned and inspected regularly.
• Make sure your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are working.
• Before lighting your fire, make sure your flue is unobstructed and the damper is open.
• Don't burn newspapers, garbage, or anything other than dry, seasoned wood.
• Never use gasoline, lighter fluid, or any other petroleum products to start, or
rekindle a fire.
• Keep your fire manageable - too large of a fire can cause a chimney fire.
• Never leave your fire unattended.
• And lastly, dispose of cooled ashes in a metal container with a tight fitting lid and store the can far away from any combustibles. Ashes can remain hot for several days!