TVF&R reminds fireplace and woodstove users to follow these tips for a warm, but safe fire.
Have your chimney and flue pipes cleaned and inspected regularly.
Make sure your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are working.
Before lighting your fire, make sure your flue is unobstructed and the damper is open.
Don't burn newspapers, garbage, or anything other than dry, seasoned wood.
Never use gasoline, lighter fluid, or any other petroleum products to start, or rekindle, a fire.
Keep your fire manageable - too large of a fire can cause a chimney fire.
Never leave your fire unattended.
And lastly, dispose of cooled ashes in a metal container with a tight fitting lid and store the can far away from any combustibles. Ashes can remain hot for several days!