We want you to enjoy a happy
holiday season and avoid a devastating
fire by using caution with your
decorations and preparations for
holiday gatherings. To help you along
the way, we have
a few safety tips.
A dry holiday
tree is extremely
flammable, so it’s
important to keep
your tree healthy
making a fresh
cut at the base of the tree before
placing it in your stand.
Place your tree
in a special spot away from any heat
sources and immediately add water.
It’s best to check the water level
every day and ensure it never drops
below the base of your tree. When
the needles begin to fall, it’s time to
remove your tree.
When it comes to brightening your
home with holiday lights, use only UL-approved,
low-heat lights and follow
manufacturer instructions. That means
using outdoor lights outside and indoor
lights in your home.
Never use light sets with broken
sockets, frayed and/or cracked wires,
or missing sockets.
Any of these hazards
may cause an
electrical shock or
to exterior walls,
trees, or other firm
supports to protect
them from wind damage.
Do not use nails or tacks to hold
light strings in place. Instead, we recommend using plastic light string
holders or run your lights through
Don’t overload extension cords or
wall sockets with all of your festive
Remember to turn off all lights when
you go to bed or leave the house, as
they can short out and start a fire.
If you enjoy candles, consider using battery-operated flameless candles, which can look, smell and feel like real candles.
If you choose to use traditional candles, place them where they cannot tip over in a sturdy metal, glass or ceramic holder. Never leave a lit candle unattended, and blow candles out after use and before going to bed.
For those holiday gatherings you plan to host, make safety a priority while cooking a feast for your guests.
You can avoid a kitchen fire by following these cooking tips:
- Stay in the kitchen and
keep an eye on what you are
- Wear short or tight-fitting
- Keep towels, pot holders,
curtains and paper products
away from the stove.
- Heat cooking oil slowly,
and turn down the heat if it
begins to smoke.
- Keep your cooking area
clean, including the exhaust
fan, oven and stovetop.
- Keep a large lid close at
hand in case of a pan fire.
- Unplug small appliances
when they are not in use.
Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue wishes you and your family a safe and happy holiday season.