View Archived News Releases (From January 1 - June 30, 2013 )
News Flash Home
The original item was published from 2/1/2017 3:24:00 PM to 2/1/2017 3:27:20 PM.

News Flash


Posted on: February 1, 2017

[ARCHIVED] TVF&R, Tigard Police and Valley Catholic School Teach Hands-Only CPR at Washington Square Mall

2016 WashSqMall - SM.jpg
Valley Catholic Middle School students will join Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue (TVF&R) firefighters and Tigard Police in teaching hands-only CPR to Washington Square Mall guests and retailers on Saturday, February 4, from noon to 3 p.m. in the event space below the food court. Firefighters will be wearing red t-shirts at the event and during the month of February to promote conversation and action regarding heart health, CPR, cardiac emergencies, and the chain of survival.

Students, police officers and firefighters will demonstrate how easy it is to perform hands-only CPR by practicing the skill on mannequins. Pushing hard and fast in the center of the chest to the exact beat of the Bee Gees’ song “Staying Alive” can maintain circulation and breathing for a cardiac patient until firefighter paramedics arrive to begin advanced medical care.

Valley Catholic Middle School is a leader when it comes to promoting and teaching the technique. In 2011, TVF&R and Valley Catholic implemented the first partnership in Oregon between a fire department and school to teach hands-only CPR. Since then, students who received training have taught more than 8,000 people hands-only CPR.

Knowing that Washington Square Mall averages a large number of shoppers on any given Saturday and has been a proponent of training its staff in emergency procedures, students approached the mall’s management and TVF&R firefighters to help them accomplish their goal of teaching Washington County residents hands-only CPR during Heart Month.  

Rebecca Lesley, senior marketing manager at Washington Square states, "At Washington Square, our team members are trained and certified in CPR and AEDs every year. We have seen this training result in lives saved at the mall. We support firefighters’ and students’ efforts to teach this lifesaving skill to our guests and retailers and expand the network of citizens who are trained to respond to a cardiac emergency."  

Law enforcement agencies have partnered with Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue to increase cardiac arrest survivability. Many officers and deputies throughout Washington County are trained to respond in the event of a cardiac arrest call. Specifically, all Tigard Patrol vehicles now carry an AED and respond to cardiac arrest calls. 

According to the American Heart Association, more than 326,000 people experience cardiac arrest each year before getting to a hospital and about 90% do not survive. Because a victim’s chance of survival decreases by 10 percent for each minute without CPR from the time of arrest, bystander intervention is crucial. When community members are willing and able to provide early CPR, and Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs) are readily available, the chances of a patient surviving a cardiac event increase.  
Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in TVF&R


Midnight Apartment Fire with a Rescue

Posted on: February 10, 2024

TVF&R Has Returned to Normal Operations

Posted on: January 19, 2024
Firefighter working at residential fire in Aloha

Aloha House Fire Claims One Life

Posted on: October 27, 2023
Put a Lid on Kitchen Fires - Firefighter slides lid over pan on stove

Cooking Safety Starts with YOU

Posted on: October 1, 2023
Volunteer Open House Flyer with photos of fire scene support and antique fire trucks

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: January 6, 2023

TVF&R is Prepared for Weekend Wind Event

Posted on: September 9, 2022

TVF&R Receives Superior Credit Rating

Posted on: February 15, 2022
Tuckerwood House Fire

Firefighters Battle House Fire in Beaverton

Posted on: September 16, 2021
Bureker Truck 56

TVF&R Promotes First Female Captain

Posted on: September 16, 2021

Fire Destroys Unoccupied Home in Beaverton

Posted on: September 7, 2021

TVF&R Receives COVID-19 Vaccines

Posted on: December 30, 2020
Preview of Safety First Newsletter Home Page

TVF&R Launches 'Safety First' Newsletter

Posted on: December 7, 2020
Burn Ban

High Fire Danger Burn Ban Lifted

Posted on: September 30, 2020

Notice of TVF&R Budget Hearing

Posted on: June 4, 2020
beaverton townhouse fire_65

Apartment Fire Displaces Eight

Posted on: April 17, 2020
Firefighters work to extinguish Tigard house fire

Person Found Dead in Tigard Home Fire

Posted on: March 24, 2020
COVID-19 image


Posted on: March 13, 2020
Crews complete hose drill with new training trailer

TVF&R Unveils New Training Trailer

Posted on: December 13, 2019
night rehab volunteers

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: November 26, 2019

Residential Fire in Tualatin

Posted on: November 2, 2019
Fourplex 1

Beaverton Fourplex Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 29, 2019

Beaverton Home Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 13, 2019

Firefighters Battle Aloha House Fire

Posted on: March 31, 2017