A residential fire in the 13000 block of Berthold Street in Beaverton displaced a family of four early this morning.
Shortly after midnight, a resident called 911 to report that their house was on fire. TVF&R firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke throughout the house with flames in the kitchen area. The family of four safely evacuated their home and crews quickly extinguished the fire.
One adult and three children were displaced as a result of the fire, and the American Red Cross is assisting them with temporary housing and other essential needs.
TVF&R fire investigators have confirmed that the fire originated in the kitchen and was the result of a cooking fire.
Cooking fires are the leading cause of residential fires. To reduce your risk, we recommend the following safe cooking tips:
- Keep a close eye on what you're cooking.
- Never leave food unattended on the stovetop.
- Heat cooking oil slowly and never leave it unattended. Turn down the heat if it begins to smoke.
- Keep combustibles away from the stove, and keep your cooking area clean, including the exhaust fan, oven and stovetop.
- Keep a large lid close at hand in case of a pan fire.
- If the fire is still in the pan or oven and has not spread to nearby counters or cabinets, you may be able to extinguish it yourself.
- If you experience a cooking fire, and the fire is large or appears to be growing, do not attempt to extinguish it. Leave the house quickly and call 911 from a cellphone or neighbor's house.
To extinguish a pan or oven fire:
- Put a lid on it. The easiest way to extinguish a small pan fire is with a pan lid. Turn off the burner and carefully slide a pan lid over the pan from the side. The lid will smother the fire. Do not move the pan until the fire is completely extinguished and the pan is cool. If you do not have a pan lid, you may also use a baking sheet or pizza pan.
- Use a fire extinguisher only if the fire is small and has not spread outside the pan. The discharge of a portable fire extinguisher lasts between eight and 10 seconds.
- Shut the door on oven or microwave fires and turn off the heat.
Never transfer a burning pan from the stovetop to the sink or out the back door. The fire may grow in size and burn you or spread to countertops. Also, never pour water on a grease fire. The flames will "splash," causing the fire to spread and likely result in burns to your body.