At 11:50 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 14, a passerby observed billowing smoke coming from the roof of Miller’s Homestead Restaurant on McEwan Road and called 911.
Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue and a Lake Oswego Fire crew arrived on scene within minutes to find a single-story restaurant with smoke showing from the roof vents and eaves, and no visible flames.
Firefighters quickly got to work gaining access to the building and aggressively fighting fire from the inside, when conditions rapidly changed. About 15 minutes after interior firefighting started, “We had to withdraw crews from the structure due to an extreme electrical hazard,” stated Battalion Chief Dan Griffin.
Firefighters sprayed water from the outside, including the use of an aerial truck to flow water from above the structure.
After PGE arrived and cut power, crews were able to resume fighting fire from the inside.
Just before 1 a.m. on Monday, the fire was declared under control, and investigators on scene were able to start their procedures.
TVF&R was assisted on scene by Lake Oswego Truck 211, PGE, and several officers from the Tualatin Police Department. The incident remains under investigation.
The owners of Miller’s Homestead Restaurant spoke with TVF&R, and stated that their “goal is to re-open as soon as possible to serve our customers.”