Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue firefighters responded to an accidental, unattended cooking fire at the Village at Main Street Apartments in Wilsonville on Saturday.
At 4:13 p.m., a caller notified 911 dispatchers that a commercial fire sprinkler system activated in one of the apartments in the 30000 block of Southwest Rogue Lane.
When fire crews from Station 52 arrived, no smoke or flames were showing. Two sprinkler heads had kept the fire under control in the kitchen, allowing crews to quickly extinguish the fire.
A TVF&R investigator determined the fire originated from a pan of coconut oil left on an electric stovetop. The fire extended to the microwave and cabinetry above the stove before activating two fire sprinkler heads.
The fire sprinkler system limited damage to the kitchen and kept the fire from spreading to other rooms and apartments in the building.
No injuries were reported. The apartment had working smoke alarms, and the tenant has renter’s insurance.
When a fire sprinkler system is present, the likelihood of injuries and costly damage is dramatically reduced. More information about fire sprinkler systems can be found by clicking on the link below.