Over the last 3-1/2 years, TVF&R has responded to nearly 500 fires caused by cigarettes, resulting in one death and over $2.2 million dollars in property loss. These fires have prompted TVF&R to remind the public to “put it out, all the way out, every time” and to take the following preventative measures when smoking:
• Extinguish and discard cigarettes in a glass or metal ashtray or fireproof container.
• Consider soaking cigarettes in water before discarding.
• Do not allow butts to build up in an ashtray – they are combustible.
• Do not use plant containers as an ashtray. Potting soil can ignite.
• Do not toss smoking materials into landscaping or onto the roadway.
• Never smoke in bed or when drowsy.
Tragically, smoking is a leading cause of residential fire deaths in Oregon, even though 83% of Oregonians do not smoke.