Shortly before 5 a.m. today, multiple callers reported seeing black smoke and flames coming from a residence on Southwest 195th Avenue between Madeline and Deline Street.
While en route to the fire, crews could see a black column of smoke and called for additional resources. Firefighters arrived and received reports that no one was inside the home. Subsequent searches of the house confirmed that both residents exited safely.
Crews immediately began attacking the fire; however, they had to be judicious in their operations as the fire had disabled a gas meter, which caused a release of natural gas. Crews continued to make progress and were able to fully extinguish the fire once the gas to the residence was shut off.
There was significant damage to the home, and two people are displaced as a result of the fire.
Investigators were able to confirm that the fire began outside the home and had worked its way into the attic above the garage. Investigators remain on scene working through material evidence, conducting witness interviews, and analyzing burn patterns to determine a cause and calculate a damage estimate.
Hillsboro Fire & Rescue responded to this incident to provide mutual aid and NW Natural assisted in securing utilities.
When a fire sprinkler system is present, the likelihood of injuries and costly damage is dramatically reduced. More information about fire sprinkler systems can be found at: http://www.tvfr.com/index.aspx?nid=144.