Just after 10p.m. on Saturday, June 27, TVF&R firefighters on Engine 35 from King City detected a smell of chlorine near SW 85th Avenue and Durham Road in Tigard as they were returning from a call. Soon after, they saw a small plume near the water treatment plant and initiated a response from the Hazardous Materials Team. Additional police and fire units were also called to close down a portion of Durham Road near Tigard High School and to redirect visitors in Cook Park where Tigard Balloon Festival attendees were still enjoying festivities.
Within 15 minutes the cloud had dissipated, so incident commanders decided that nearby homes would not need to be evacuated. Firefighters investigated the Clean Water Services water treatment plant, as well as the community pool at Tigard High School, and confirmed there was no longer any release of odor.
TVF&R met with Clean Water Services officials and confirmed that water vapor releases and chlorine odors from the water treatment facility are a common occurrence and part of normal operations.