View Archived News Releases (From January 1 - June 30, 2013 )
News Flash Home
The original item was published from 7/29/2015 9:17:00 AM to 5/11/2017 12:00:05 AM.

News Flash


Posted on: May 8, 2015

[ARCHIVED] Improperly Discarded Smoking Materials Cause Afternoon Residential Fire in Wilsonville

Wilsonville 03 small.jpg

At 3:05 p.m., firefighters responded to reports of a large volume of fire on the front deck of a mobile home at 10660 SW Wilsonville Road in Wilsonville.

A Clackamas County Sheriff's Office deputy arrived first on scene and was told by neighbors that two occupants might be inside the home - a woman and a child. The deputy began checking for occupants but soon determined nobody was home at the time of the fire.

Upon arrival, firefighters extinguished the fire and prevented it from spreading from the deck to the inside of the home.

A TVF&R fire investigator responded to the scene and, after examining material evidence, determined the most probable cause of the fire was the result of smoking materials that were improperly discarded in a terra-cotta planting pot partially filled with combustible materials. The pot was on a plastic table, and it appears that once the fire started, the pot broke, and fire spread to the table and wood deck below.

TVF&R urges citizens to dispose of smoking materials properly.

* Don't put cigarettes out in landscaping, barkdust, or potted plants. Potting soil is an organic material and has the potential to ignite.
* The best option for ensuring complete extinguishment of smoking materials is to smother them with water in a metal container.
* Don't let cigarette butts pile up - the materials are combustible and may smolder for several hours before causing a fire.
* Don't toss your smoking materials out on the roadway or into landscaping.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in TVF&R

Firefighter working at residential fire in Aloha

Aloha House Fire Claims One Life

Posted on: October 27, 2023
Put a Lid on Kitchen Fires - Firefighter slides lid over pan on stove

Cooking Safety Starts with YOU

Posted on: October 1, 2023
Volunteer Open House Flyer with photos of fire scene support and antique fire trucks

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: January 6, 2023

TVF&R is Prepared for Weekend Wind Event

Posted on: September 9, 2022

TVF&R Receives Superior Credit Rating

Posted on: February 15, 2022
Tuckerwood House Fire

Firefighters Battle House Fire in Beaverton

Posted on: September 16, 2021
Bureker Truck 56

TVF&R Promotes First Female Captain

Posted on: September 16, 2021

Fire Destroys Unoccupied Home in Beaverton

Posted on: September 7, 2021

TVF&R Receives COVID-19 Vaccines

Posted on: December 30, 2020
Preview of Safety First Newsletter Home Page

TVF&R Launches 'Safety First' Newsletter

Posted on: December 7, 2020
Burn Ban

High Fire Danger Burn Ban Lifted

Posted on: September 30, 2020

Notice of TVF&R Budget Hearing

Posted on: June 4, 2020
beaverton townhouse fire_65

Apartment Fire Displaces Eight

Posted on: April 17, 2020
Firefighters work to extinguish Tigard house fire

Person Found Dead in Tigard Home Fire

Posted on: March 24, 2020
COVID-19 image


Posted on: March 13, 2020
Crews complete hose drill with new training trailer

TVF&R Unveils New Training Trailer

Posted on: December 13, 2019
night rehab volunteers

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: November 26, 2019

Residential Fire in Tualatin

Posted on: November 2, 2019
Fourplex 1

Beaverton Fourplex Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 29, 2019

Beaverton Home Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 13, 2019

Firefighters Battle Aloha House Fire

Posted on: March 31, 2017