News Flash module icon

View Archived News Releases (From January 1 - June 30, 2013 )
News Flash Home
The original item was published from 8/5/2013 4:38:00 PM to 8/5/2013 4:40:23 PM.

News Flash

TVF&R

Posted on: July 30, 2013

[ARCHIVED] Fire Destroys Two Units at Main Street Village Apartments in Tigard

Tigard Apt. Fire

At 6:32 this morning, 9-1-1 dispatchers received multiple calls reporting heavy fire on at least two exterior decks and flames in an apartment at the Main Street Village Apartment complex in downtown Tigard. As they were leaving the station, crews from Station 51 in Tigard could already see a heavy column of smoke and requested additional fire units.

First-arriving crews found two apartments - a ground level unit and a second-story unit above - with significant fire. The fire had also consumed the two apartments' exterior deck on the back side of the building. Crews immediately waged an aggressive, interior fire attack, knocking down the bulk of the fire in both apartments and the decks, and searching for tenants potentially trapped inside. Firefighters had the fire under control in less than 20 minutes and there were no injuries to tenants.

The fire posed significant hazards including: two separate apartments and exterior decks on fire, fears about trapped tenants, and concerns about a section of roof that had burnt through and had the potential to become unstable while firefighters were still inside. Crews reported the fire extinguished, just at the point that the incident commander was starting to consider pulling them out of the building and going to an exterior fire attack. Approximately 30 firefighters responded to the incident.

According to occupants on scene, neighbors began knocking on doors and notifying residents to evacuate before firefighters arrived. At least one dog was evacuated by its owner, while other pets in cages were retrieved by firefighters and reunited with their owners. According to the American Red Cross, 10 adults and three children were displaced and are being assisted by their agency.

A TVF&R fire investigator has confirmed that the fire began on the exterior deck of the ground level apartment and was started by improper disposal of smoking materials (cigarettes in a plastic garbage bag). The fire destroyed two apartment units and caused water damage to a third, below ground unit.

TVF&R reminds the public to test their smoke alarms, have an escape plan that includes two ways out of every room, and obtain renters insurance in case of fire.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in TVF&R

Volunteer Open House Flyer with photos of fire scene support and antique fire trucks

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: January 6, 2023

TVF&R is Prepared for Weekend Wind Event

Posted on: September 9, 2022

TVF&R Receives Superior Credit Rating

Posted on: February 15, 2022
Tuckerwood House Fire

Firefighters Battle House Fire in Beaverton

Posted on: September 16, 2021
Bureker Truck 56

TVF&R Promotes First Female Captain

Posted on: September 16, 2021
Spellman2

Fire Destroys Unoccupied Home in Beaverton

Posted on: September 7, 2021
POD

TVF&R Receives COVID-19 Vaccines

Posted on: December 30, 2020
Preview of Safety First Newsletter Home Page

TVF&R Launches 'Safety First' Newsletter

Posted on: December 7, 2020
Burn Ban

High Fire Danger Burn Ban Lifted

Posted on: September 30, 2020

Notice of TVF&R Budget Hearing

Posted on: June 4, 2020
beaverton townhouse fire_65

Apartment Fire Displaces Eight

Posted on: April 17, 2020
Firefighters work to extinguish Tigard house fire

Person Found Dead in Tigard Home Fire

Posted on: March 24, 2020
COVID-19 image

COVID-19

Posted on: March 13, 2020
Crews complete hose drill with new training trailer

TVF&R Unveils New Training Trailer

Posted on: December 13, 2019
night rehab volunteers

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: November 26, 2019

Residential Fire in Tualatin

Posted on: November 2, 2019
Fourplex 1

Beaverton Fourplex Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 29, 2019
1

Beaverton Home Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 13, 2019
flameless_candle_4_thumb.jpg

Keep the Holidays Merry

Posted on: December 1, 2017

Firefighters Battle Aloha House Fire

Posted on: March 31, 2017
2016 Toy Drive.JPG

Spread Holiday Cheer for Children in Need

Posted on: November 17, 2016

Home Visits Enhance Patient Care

Posted on: November 8, 2016

TVF&R Firefighters ‘Go Pink’

Posted on: October 8, 2015
New-Station-70.jpg

TVF&R Opens New Station 70 in Raleigh Hills

Posted on: September 30, 2015

TVF&R Welcomes Its Newest Recruits

Posted on: February 3, 2015