At 11:00 pm, Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue responded to reports of a residential fire at 13600 SW Wrightwood Ct. in Tigard. When firefighters from King City and Tigard arrived, they found the attached garage on fire and the home filled with smoke. They were informed that while five occupants reportedly evacuated the residence prior to firefighters’ arrival, one of them went back inside the smoke-filled home.
Firefighters began operating in rescue mode and ensured the safe exit of the occupant. Other firefighters worked to quickly knock down the fire in the garage and check for fire extension to other parts of the home.
Several patients at the scene were evaluated for smoke inhalation by TVF&R firefighter/paramedics. One patient was treated at the scene by Metro West Ambulance paramedics and did not necessitate transport to a hospital.
A TVF&R fire investigator responded to the scene and determined that the fire originated in the garage and was caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials. There is no damage estimate at this time.
TVF&R reminds citizens that the best option for ensuring complete extinguishment of smoking materials is to smother them with water in a metal container. An additional safety reminder is that in the event of a fire, it’s important to get out, stay out, and call 9-1-1.