At 5:12 pm today, Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue responded to reports of a residential fire at 11860 SW Carmen St. in Tigard. Firefighters from the nearby Walnut Street Station 50 arrived at the home in just three minutes and began fire suppression efforts.
One person sustained minor burns after trying to extinguish the stove top fire. Another occupant experienced minor smoke inhalation. An emergency dispatcher who was on the phone with the caller at the time of the fire advised both occupants to immediately cease fire suppression efforts, evacuate, and close all doors behind them as they exited. The patients were treated at the scene by TVF&R firefighter/paramedics and elected not to be transported to a hospital.
"If a fire is still in the pan or oven and has not spread to nearby counters or cabinets, you may be able to extinguish it yourself," said TVF&R Public Information Officer Alisa Cour. "However, if the fire is large or appears to be spreading, leave the house quickly and call 9-1-1 from a cell phone or neighbor's house."
TVF&R advises that the best way to extinguish a pan or oven fire is to:
* Put a Lid on It. The easiest way to extinguish a small pan fire is with a pan lid. Turn off the burner and carefully slide a pan lid over the pan from the side. The lid will "smother" the fire. Do not move the pan until the fire is completely extinguished and the pan is cool. If you do not have a pan lid, you may also use a baking sheet or pizza pan.
* Baking Soda. If the fire is still contained in the pan, you may use baking soda. Sprinkle a generous amount in the palm of your hand and "toss" on the fire. If the fire is not extinguished after several attempts, use a fire extinguisher or leave your home and call 9-1-1.
* Use a Fire Extinguisher. Use a fire extinguisher only if the fire is small and has not spread outside the pan. The discharge of a portable fire extinguisher lasts between 8 and 10 seconds.
* Shut the door on oven or microwave fires and turn off the heat.