A small fire erupted in the early afternoon of May 2nd in NW Portland at 12765 NW Lovejoy Street. The resident called 9-1-1 at approximately 1:35pm to report gray smoke filling the home. With additional information that there may be flames present and the possibility of a growing fire, it was upgraded to a first-alarm response to bring in additional resources. The first arriving fire engine from Butner Rd Station 61 found the single-story home with gray smoke coming from the structure. They initiated a quick entry, and with Engine 68, made a prompt knockdown of the fire. Initial reports indicated that all persons were able to safely exit but a dog might have been inside. Crews thoroughly searched the home and confirmed that everyone exited safely including the resident’s dog. No injuries were reported.
A TVF&R Investigator determined that the cause of the fire was accidental and resulted from unattended cooking. Damage estimate for the fire is approximately $10,000.
TVF&R reminds you to keep your family and home safe from kitchen fires by never leaving food unattended on the stovetop – turn off burners or set a timer if you have to leave for any reason. Remember to also heat cooking oil slowly and keep all combustibles like kitchen towels away from the stovetop. For more information, please visit our Safety & Education section of our website at www.tvfr.com.
# # #