View Archived News Releases (From January 1 - June 30, 2013 )
News Flash Home
The original item was published from 7/28/2018 9:53:43 PM to 7/28/2018 9:54:49 PM.

News Flash


Posted on: July 28, 2018

[ARCHIVED] Roof Vent Fire at Washington Square Causes Mall Evacuation

Washington Square Mall Food Court
Just before 4 p.m. today, multiple calls to 911 reported flames and black smoke coming from the roof of the food court at Washington Square Mall in Tigard. To ensure the safety of the patrons and employees, quick action by mall management and security prompted a full evacuation of the mall with assistance from Tigard Police.

Firefighters from multiple Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue (TVF&R) stations in Tigard, along with the Battalion Chief, arrived within minutes of being dispatched to the scene and found a dark column of smoke coming from the roof of the mall building. Due to the descriptions provided by callers to 911 and significant dark smoke billowing from the roof, the call was immediately upgraded to a second alarm. The upgrade would ensure enough firefighting resources were on scene to quickly access and extinguish the fire, if it had also extended into the mall’s interior.

Firefighters gained access to the roof and extinguished the fire in a grease vent. They then checked for extension inside the food court area, where only minor residual smoke was found. After mall maintenance staff assisted with ventilating the smoke, mall goers were allowed to return to the mall’s first floor only. The food court remained temporarily closed.

Approximately two weeks ago, firefighters from TVF&R Progress Station 53, mall management, and mall security proactively performed a training drill, where the scenario was a fire in the food court area. This is one of many types of training drills performed at Washington Square Mall, to ensure all parties familiarize themselves with the large building and enhance collaboration and coordination skills. This invaluable training from two weeks ago was put to work today, resulting in an efficient and effective response by all involved agencies and mall staff.

The TVF&R investigator confirmed that the fire started in the kitchen of a restaurant located in the food court. No injuries were reported.
Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in TVF&R

Firefighter working at residential fire in Aloha

Aloha House Fire Claims One Life

Posted on: October 27, 2023
Put a Lid on Kitchen Fires - Firefighter slides lid over pan on stove

Cooking Safety Starts with YOU

Posted on: October 1, 2023
Volunteer Open House Flyer with photos of fire scene support and antique fire trucks

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: January 6, 2023

TVF&R is Prepared for Weekend Wind Event

Posted on: September 9, 2022

TVF&R Receives Superior Credit Rating

Posted on: February 15, 2022
Tuckerwood House Fire

Firefighters Battle House Fire in Beaverton

Posted on: September 16, 2021
Bureker Truck 56

TVF&R Promotes First Female Captain

Posted on: September 16, 2021

Fire Destroys Unoccupied Home in Beaverton

Posted on: September 7, 2021

TVF&R Receives COVID-19 Vaccines

Posted on: December 30, 2020
Preview of Safety First Newsletter Home Page

TVF&R Launches 'Safety First' Newsletter

Posted on: December 7, 2020
Burn Ban

High Fire Danger Burn Ban Lifted

Posted on: September 30, 2020

Notice of TVF&R Budget Hearing

Posted on: June 4, 2020
beaverton townhouse fire_65

Apartment Fire Displaces Eight

Posted on: April 17, 2020
Firefighters work to extinguish Tigard house fire

Person Found Dead in Tigard Home Fire

Posted on: March 24, 2020
COVID-19 image


Posted on: March 13, 2020
Crews complete hose drill with new training trailer

TVF&R Unveils New Training Trailer

Posted on: December 13, 2019
night rehab volunteers

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: November 26, 2019

Residential Fire in Tualatin

Posted on: November 2, 2019
Fourplex 1

Beaverton Fourplex Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 29, 2019

Beaverton Home Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 13, 2019

Firefighters Battle Aloha House Fire

Posted on: March 31, 2017