View Archived News Releases (From January 1 - June 30, 2013 )

News Flash


Posted on: December 27, 2022

Nine displaced, two hospitalized after fire in West Linn

west linn fire 5th

Firefighters were called to the 2300 block of Fifth Avenue in West Linn shortly before 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday for reports of a fire at a large, multi-story home that had been converted into five individual apartments. Initial calls to 911 indicated there was a fire inside a bedroom of the structure. Upon arrival, fire crews saw heavy smoke and flames coming from the structure and quickly upgraded the fire to a second alarm to bring in additional engines, trucks, and incident support staff to support firefighting operations.

Crews started attacking the fire and searched floor-by-floor to locate anybody who may have been inside. Fire crews located and helped rescue two people from the home and checked them for injuries. Initially, the two patients declined to go the hospital, but later changed their minds and were taken by ground ambulance with non-life-threatening injuries. In total, nine residents live inside the home and have been displaced as a result of the fire. The Red Cross was activated and is working to find shelter for those affected. The home sustained extensive damage and is uninhabitable. A pet cat was also found deceased.

The home’s century-old construction style also contributed to rapid fire spread and made fire attack challenging. Firefighters worked diligently to track the fire as it progressed through the apartments, crawl spaces, attic, and other hard-to-reach areas. Crews used thermal imaging cameras to monitor hotspots and successfully got the fire under control in about an hour and half. They remained on scene in the evening hours for salvage and overhaul efforts.  

Initial reports to the fire investigator suggested that an unattended, lit candle being used during a power outage caused the fire. Candles are a fire hazard, and TVF&R suggests using only flashlights, battery-operated lanterns, and light sticks as emergency lighting in your home.

Thank you to Washington County Consolidated Communications Agency, Clackamas County Communications, Lake Oswego Fire, Clackamas Fire, West Linn Police, NW Natural Gas, Portland General Electric, American Medical Response, and the American Red Cross for their assistance on the fire.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in TVF&R


Midnight Apartment Fire with a Rescue

Posted on: February 10, 2024

TVF&R Has Returned to Normal Operations

Posted on: January 19, 2024
Firefighter working at residential fire in Aloha

Aloha House Fire Claims One Life

Posted on: October 27, 2023
Put a Lid on Kitchen Fires - Firefighter slides lid over pan on stove

Cooking Safety Starts with YOU

Posted on: October 1, 2023
Volunteer Open House Flyer with photos of fire scene support and antique fire trucks

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: January 6, 2023

TVF&R is Prepared for Weekend Wind Event

Posted on: September 9, 2022

TVF&R Receives Superior Credit Rating

Posted on: February 15, 2022
Tuckerwood House Fire

Firefighters Battle House Fire in Beaverton

Posted on: September 16, 2021
Bureker Truck 56

TVF&R Promotes First Female Captain

Posted on: September 16, 2021

Fire Destroys Unoccupied Home in Beaverton

Posted on: September 7, 2021

TVF&R Receives COVID-19 Vaccines

Posted on: December 30, 2020
Preview of Safety First Newsletter Home Page

TVF&R Launches 'Safety First' Newsletter

Posted on: December 7, 2020
Burn Ban

High Fire Danger Burn Ban Lifted

Posted on: September 30, 2020

Notice of TVF&R Budget Hearing

Posted on: June 4, 2020
beaverton townhouse fire_65

Apartment Fire Displaces Eight

Posted on: April 17, 2020
Firefighters work to extinguish Tigard house fire

Person Found Dead in Tigard Home Fire

Posted on: March 24, 2020
COVID-19 image


Posted on: March 13, 2020
Crews complete hose drill with new training trailer

TVF&R Unveils New Training Trailer

Posted on: December 13, 2019
night rehab volunteers

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: November 26, 2019

Residential Fire in Tualatin

Posted on: November 2, 2019
Fourplex 1

Beaverton Fourplex Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 29, 2019

Beaverton Home Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 13, 2019

Firefighters Battle Aloha House Fire

Posted on: March 31, 2017