At 5:44 a.m. this morning, firefighters were called to a Tualatin apartment complex in the 18500 block of SW Boones Ferry Road on reports of smoke and flames coming out a window. When crews arrived, they found heavy smoke and fire pouring out of two second-story apartments with fire extending to the apartments above on the third floor.
Firefighters were able to bring the fire under control quickly while simultaneously searching the four units in the building. Despite the intensity of the fire and so many involved units all occupants were able to safely exit and no injuries were reported.
A fire investigator concluded that the fire was started due to unattended cooking in the kitchen area. Four units sustained considerable fire damage, and the two units below were impacted by water and smoke. Six adults and six children in total were displaced, and the American Red Cross provided support at the scene.
Please visit www.tvfr.com to find more information on kitchen fire safety.