View Archived News Releases (From January 1 - June 30, 2013 )
News Flash Home
The original item was published from 10/25/2016 12:44:00 PM to 10/25/2016 12:45:26 PM.

News Flash


Posted on: October 25, 2016

[ARCHIVED] Crews Quickly Resolve Hazardous Material Response in Wilsonville

At 8:28 this morning, Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue crews activated a HazMat response after a report of an unknown chemical spill and vapor cloud came in from the Wilsonville Inn and Suites on Boones Ferry Road.

Initial reports indicated that the spill may have been a small amount of chlorine, and all occupants of the building were evacuated to a warming shelter provided by the Wilsonville SMART bus.

Three citizens reported respiratory discomfort from exposure to the substance, and one adult female was transported to Legacy Meridian Park Medical Center as a precaution.

TVF&R HazMat technicians entered the building and were able to determine using specialized monitors that while the substance did contain chlorine, it was in fact bleach. Crews were able to identify approximately a gallon of bleach that had been dispensed by an automated machine at high concentration into a load of towels.

All occupants were allowed to return to the building by 11 a.m. A total of nine fire units responded, ready for the worst-case scenario, and were grateful for a fast and positive resolution for the building's occupants.

As incident commander, Division Chief Ken Frentress, stated, "We take dealing with an unknown spill very seriously. We had one person who stated they had seen a cloud, and three experiencing symptoms, so at that point, our main priority was to evacuate occupants. Then, we slow down, investigate methodically with our specialized HazMat team, and mitigate the incident."

Thank you to our partners at the Wilsonville Police Department, Wilsonville Public Works, and Clackamas County Sheriff's Office for fast and efficient teamwork. Today's evacuation serves as a reminder to always have an evacuation plan, for yourself and family, both at home and while traveling.
Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in TVF&R

Firefighter working at residential fire in Aloha

Aloha House Fire Claims One Life

Posted on: October 27, 2023
Put a Lid on Kitchen Fires - Firefighter slides lid over pan on stove

Cooking Safety Starts with YOU

Posted on: October 1, 2023
Volunteer Open House Flyer with photos of fire scene support and antique fire trucks

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: January 6, 2023

TVF&R is Prepared for Weekend Wind Event

Posted on: September 9, 2022

TVF&R Receives Superior Credit Rating

Posted on: February 15, 2022
Tuckerwood House Fire

Firefighters Battle House Fire in Beaverton

Posted on: September 16, 2021
Bureker Truck 56

TVF&R Promotes First Female Captain

Posted on: September 16, 2021

Fire Destroys Unoccupied Home in Beaverton

Posted on: September 7, 2021

TVF&R Receives COVID-19 Vaccines

Posted on: December 30, 2020
Preview of Safety First Newsletter Home Page

TVF&R Launches 'Safety First' Newsletter

Posted on: December 7, 2020
Burn Ban

High Fire Danger Burn Ban Lifted

Posted on: September 30, 2020

Notice of TVF&R Budget Hearing

Posted on: June 4, 2020
beaverton townhouse fire_65

Apartment Fire Displaces Eight

Posted on: April 17, 2020
Firefighters work to extinguish Tigard house fire

Person Found Dead in Tigard Home Fire

Posted on: March 24, 2020
COVID-19 image


Posted on: March 13, 2020
Crews complete hose drill with new training trailer

TVF&R Unveils New Training Trailer

Posted on: December 13, 2019
night rehab volunteers

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: November 26, 2019

Residential Fire in Tualatin

Posted on: November 2, 2019
Fourplex 1

Beaverton Fourplex Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 29, 2019

Beaverton Home Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 13, 2019

Firefighters Battle Aloha House Fire

Posted on: March 31, 2017