Posted on: October 25, 2016
Crews Quickly Resolve Hazardous Material Response in Wilsonville
At 8:28 this morning, Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue crews activated a HazMat response after a report of an unknown chemical spill and vapor cloud came in from the Wilsonville Inn and Suites on Boones Ferry Road.
Initial reports indicated that the spill may have been a small amount of chlorine, and all occupants of the building were evacuated to a warming shelter provided by the Wilsonville SMART bus.
Three citizens reported respiratory discomfort from exposure to the substance, and one adult female was transported to Legacy Meridian Park Medical Center as a precaution.
TVF&R HazMat technicians entered the building and were able to determine using specialized monitors that while the substance did contain chlorine, it was in fact bleach. Crews were able to identify approximately a gallon of bleach that had been dispensed by an automated machine at high concentration into a load of towels.
All occupants were allowed to return to the building by 11 a.m. A total of nine fire units responded, ready for the worst-case scenario, and were grateful for a fast and positive resolution for the building's occupants.
As incident commander, Division Chief Ken Frentress, stated, "We take dealing with an unknown spill very seriously. We had one person who stated they had seen a cloud, and three experiencing symptoms, so at that point, our main priority was to evacuate occupants. Then, we slow down, investigate methodically with our specialized HazMat team, and mitigate the incident."
Thank you to our partners at the Wilsonville Police Department, Wilsonville Public Works, and Clackamas County Sheriff's Office for fast and efficient teamwork. Today's evacuation serves as a reminder to always have an evacuation plan, for yourself and family, both at home and while traveling.