A residential fire in the 15000 block of Twoponds Drive in Bethany displaced a family of five. Shortly after 6 a.m. today, a caller to 911 reported the exterior of a two-story home was on fire.
TVF&R firefighters arrived to find the siding on the east side of a house burning and fire coming from the roof. The fire spread into the attic through vents in the eave and into the crawlspace through the foundation vent. Siding on the west side of the neighboring house also began to melt.
Crews quickly worked to extinguish the fire. The family of five safely evacuated their home. Crews alerted a next door neighbor to the fire and advised the person to evacuate as a precaution.
Three adults and two children were displaced as a result of the fire, and the American Red Cross is assisting them with temporary housing and other essential needs. No residents or firefighters were injured.
Based on burn patterns and material evidence, TVF&R fire investigators have confirmed that the fire started in the bark dust on the side of the house due to improperly disposed smoking materials.
TVF&R wants to remind residents that with continuous warm, dry temperatures, materials such as bark dust become highly flammable. Although it doesn’t look dangerous, bark dust can mask a creeping fire that has the potential to cause major damage, especially when it is in close proximity to structures. It is important that smokers properly extinguish and discard of their smoking materials in an ashtray or appropriate metal container with a lid.