View Archived News Releases (From January 1 - June 30, 2013 )
News Flash Home
The original item was published from 8/2/2013 9:43:39 AM to 8/5/2013 4:20:45 PM.

News Flash


Posted on: August 2, 2013

[ARCHIVED] Firefighters Extinguish Brush Fire at Camassia Nature Preserve in West Linn


On the afternoon of July 31, firefighters responded to reports of smoke near West Linn High School. First-arriving crews from TVF&R's Bolton & Willamette stations arrived at the Camassia Nature Preserve to find a brush fire burning adjacent I -205 near the Highway 43 exit. Within 15 minutes, fire commanders called for a 2nd alarm to provide additional personnel and resources. At 1:39pm, the incident was briefly upgraded to a 3rd alarm, but crews were recalled a short while later.

For several hours, firefighters contended with steep rocky terrain, dense brush, and poison oak while trying to control and extinguish the fire which burned approximately 2.5 acres. Their aggressive efforts kept the fire from spreading to homes bordering the Preserve.

Traffic on I-205 was congested during the afternoon as drivers slowed to see smoke and flames cresting on a southeast bluff. A plume of light brown smoke could be seen from Wilsonville and southeast Portland.

Nearly 40 personnel from TVF&R, Lake Oswego Fire Department, Clackamas Fire District #1, and Portland Fire & Rescue worked together to contain and extinguish the fire. West Linn Police Department provided additional support.

A fire investigator extensively analyzed burn patterns and collected evidence but couldn't determine the exact cause of the fire. Several ignition sources were found, including discarded cigarettes. In addition to the health risks, improperly discarded smoking materials can damage homes and cause deveastating wildfires. The best option for ensuring complete extinguishment of smoking materials is to smother them with water in a sturdy, non-combustible container.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in TVF&R

Firefighter working at residential fire in Aloha

Aloha House Fire Claims One Life

Posted on: October 27, 2023
Put a Lid on Kitchen Fires - Firefighter slides lid over pan on stove

Cooking Safety Starts with YOU

Posted on: October 1, 2023
Volunteer Open House Flyer with photos of fire scene support and antique fire trucks

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: January 6, 2023

TVF&R is Prepared for Weekend Wind Event

Posted on: September 9, 2022

TVF&R Receives Superior Credit Rating

Posted on: February 15, 2022
Tuckerwood House Fire

Firefighters Battle House Fire in Beaverton

Posted on: September 16, 2021
Bureker Truck 56

TVF&R Promotes First Female Captain

Posted on: September 16, 2021

Fire Destroys Unoccupied Home in Beaverton

Posted on: September 7, 2021

TVF&R Receives COVID-19 Vaccines

Posted on: December 30, 2020
Preview of Safety First Newsletter Home Page

TVF&R Launches 'Safety First' Newsletter

Posted on: December 7, 2020
Burn Ban

High Fire Danger Burn Ban Lifted

Posted on: September 30, 2020

Notice of TVF&R Budget Hearing

Posted on: June 4, 2020
beaverton townhouse fire_65

Apartment Fire Displaces Eight

Posted on: April 17, 2020
Firefighters work to extinguish Tigard house fire

Person Found Dead in Tigard Home Fire

Posted on: March 24, 2020
COVID-19 image


Posted on: March 13, 2020
Crews complete hose drill with new training trailer

TVF&R Unveils New Training Trailer

Posted on: December 13, 2019
night rehab volunteers

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: November 26, 2019

Residential Fire in Tualatin

Posted on: November 2, 2019
Fourplex 1

Beaverton Fourplex Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 29, 2019

Beaverton Home Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 13, 2019

Firefighters Battle Aloha House Fire

Posted on: March 31, 2017