View Archived News Releases (From January 1 - June 30, 2013 )
News Flash Home
The original item was published from 5/4/2015 8:33:15 AM to 5/4/2015 8:34:47 AM.

News Flash


Posted on: May 4, 2015

[ARCHIVED] Single Alarm Fire at Westside United Methodist Church Property Destroys Children’s Ministry Building

Westside United Methodist Church Fire 5-4-15.jpg

Just four minutes after being dispatched, firefighters from nearby Station 61 arrived to confirm the Children’s ministry building at the Westside United Methodist Church was fully involved. With flames breaching the roof, they started to fight the fire from outside before they transitioned into the building.

Despite aggressive and efficient fire attack, the fire persisted since it was fed by a natural gas line that was likely ruptured when an HVAC unit collapsed into the building from the roof. Firefighters also contended with a down power line. Within thirty minutes, firefighters contained the fire and prevented it from spreading to the main church building, as well as the fence and apartments located behind the church property. Though two windows of the main church were blown out due to radiant heat, there was minimal damage to the sanctuary and firefighters quickly ventilated smoke. Firefighters spent another half hour mopping up hot spots to prevent the fire from rekindling.

Fire investigators will be at the site all day digging through charred debris, evaluating burn patterns and analyzing material evidence to determine where and how this fire started. Damage is estimated at $150,000. Due to the age of the building, constructed of cinder block and wood, there was no fire sprinkler system and no commercial fire alarm which likely increased the fire volume burning undetected before being spotted by a passerby.

When a fire sprinkler system is present, the likelihood of injuries and costly damage is dramatically reduced. More information about residential and commercial fire sprinkler systems can be found at:

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in TVF&R


Midnight Apartment Fire with a Rescue

Posted on: February 10, 2024

TVF&R Has Returned to Normal Operations

Posted on: January 19, 2024
Firefighter working at residential fire in Aloha

Aloha House Fire Claims One Life

Posted on: October 27, 2023
Put a Lid on Kitchen Fires - Firefighter slides lid over pan on stove

Cooking Safety Starts with YOU

Posted on: October 1, 2023
Volunteer Open House Flyer with photos of fire scene support and antique fire trucks

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: January 6, 2023

TVF&R is Prepared for Weekend Wind Event

Posted on: September 9, 2022

TVF&R Receives Superior Credit Rating

Posted on: February 15, 2022
Tuckerwood House Fire

Firefighters Battle House Fire in Beaverton

Posted on: September 16, 2021
Bureker Truck 56

TVF&R Promotes First Female Captain

Posted on: September 16, 2021

Fire Destroys Unoccupied Home in Beaverton

Posted on: September 7, 2021

TVF&R Receives COVID-19 Vaccines

Posted on: December 30, 2020
Preview of Safety First Newsletter Home Page

TVF&R Launches 'Safety First' Newsletter

Posted on: December 7, 2020
Burn Ban

High Fire Danger Burn Ban Lifted

Posted on: September 30, 2020

Notice of TVF&R Budget Hearing

Posted on: June 4, 2020
beaverton townhouse fire_65

Apartment Fire Displaces Eight

Posted on: April 17, 2020
Firefighters work to extinguish Tigard house fire

Person Found Dead in Tigard Home Fire

Posted on: March 24, 2020
COVID-19 image


Posted on: March 13, 2020
Crews complete hose drill with new training trailer

TVF&R Unveils New Training Trailer

Posted on: December 13, 2019
night rehab volunteers

TVF&R is Recruiting Volunteers

Posted on: November 26, 2019

Residential Fire in Tualatin

Posted on: November 2, 2019
Fourplex 1

Beaverton Fourplex Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 29, 2019

Beaverton Home Destroyed by Fire

Posted on: August 13, 2019

Firefighters Battle Aloha House Fire

Posted on: March 31, 2017