Fire, EMS, & PREVENTION
TVF&R has four jobs that provide the foundation of operations 1) Firefighter, 2) Firefighter Paramedic, 3) Paramedic, and 4) Fire Inspector or Deputy Fire Marshal. Joining our team in one of these roles at TVF&R is the goal of many individuals who've considered a career in fire and EMS service. With our commitment to safety, exceptional performance, and overall professionalism, we strive for an inclusive work environment that puts the needs of others first. We foster a culture committed to honoring our individual and group differences, so we are in turn able to provide the highest level of service to our communities. Ultimately, our mission is to create safer communities through prevention, preparedness, and effective emergency response.
FIREFIGHTER & FIREFIGHTER PARAMEDIC
The Firefighter and Firefighter Paramedic roles differ only in respect to scope of EMS practices and their required EMS license. Both jobs perform a wide range of fire- and EMS-related responsibilities, with the Firefighter Paramedic performing advanced life support consistent with their Paramedic license. Firefighter Paramedics receive a 10% pay premium after completing the academy at the start of hire.Successful entry Firefighter candidates will have the following:
PARAMEDIC (SINGLE ROLE)
Successful Paramedic candidates will have the following:
FIRE & LIFE SAFETY POSITIONS
If your interest lies in becoming a Deputy Fire Marshal, successful candidates will have the following:
- An associate or higher level degree in fire administration, prevention, engineering or closely related field
- Three (3) or more years experience working as a Fire Inspector or closely related position
- Fire & Life Safety Specialist I by one (1) year of employment
- A strong community and customer-service focus and high level of professionalism
- Demonstrated use of good judgment and decision making
- An unremarkable criminal background and driving record
- Frequently Asked Questions
- TVF&R on YouTube
- Learn more about becoming a Volunteer
- Grooming policy (PDF) - TVF&R employees serve public citizens and must present themselves in a manner that generates trust, confidence and respect. To maintain a positive public image, new employees and volunteers are required to cover tattoos and body art. This includes tattoos, branding, scarring, piercings, and body art.
- Tobacco policy (PDF) - We are committed to providing a safe work environment for our employees and the public through a tobacco-free workplace. TVF&R is tobacco free inside/outside District property, District apparatus, and inside/outside training facilities for new employees and volunteers.
TVF&R has a Commission which oversees the District’s Civil Service system, governing many aspects of personnel management for positions in the classified service. View the Civil Service Rules (PDF).