FacebookTwitterYouTube

Go To Search
I'm Looking For...

News Flash module icon

View Archived News Releases (From January 1 - June 30, 2013 )

TVF&R

Posted on: November 29, 2016

Family of Four Displaced by Cooking Fire in Beaverton

BertholdFire11-29-2016(SM).jpg
A residential fire in the 13000 block of Berthold Street in Beaverton displaced a family of four early this morning. 

Shortly after midnight, a resident called 911 to report that their home was on fire. TVF&R firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke throughout the house with flames in the kitchen area. The family of four safely evacuated their home and crews quickly extinguished the fire. 

One adult and three children were displaced as a result of the fire, and the American Red Cross is assisting them with temporary housing and other essential needs. 

TVF&R fire investigators have confirmed that the fire originated in the kitchen and was the result of a cooking fire.

Cooking fires are the leading cause of residential fires. To reduce your risk, we recommend the following safe cooking tips:

  • Keep a close eye on what you're cooking.
  • Never leave food unattended on the stovetop.
  • Heat cooking oil slowly and never leave it unattended. Turn down the heat if it begins to smoke.
  • Keep combustibles away from the stove, and keep your cooking area clean, including the exhaust fan, oven and stovetop.
  • Keep a large lid close at hand in case of a pan fire.
  • If the fire is still in the pan or oven and has not spread to nearby counters or cabinets, you may be able to extinguish it yourself.
  • If you experience a cooking fire, and the fire is large or appears to be growing, do not attempt to extinguish it. Leave the house quickly and call 911 from a cellphone or neighbor's house.

To extinguish a pan or oven fire:

  • Put a lid on it. The easiest way to extinguish a small pan fire is with a pan lid. Turn off the burner and carefully slide a pan lid over the pan from the side. The lid will smother the fire. Do not move the pan until the fire is completely extinguished and the pan is cool. If you do not have a pan lid, you may also use a baking sheet or pizza pan.
  • Use a fire extinguisher only if the fire is small and has not spread outside the pan. The discharge of a portable fire extinguisher lasts between eight and 10 seconds.
  • Shut the door on oven or microwave fires and turn off the heat.

Never transfer a burning pan from the stovetop to the sink or out the back door. The fire may grow in size and burn you or spread to countertops. Also, never pour water on a grease fire. The flames will "splash," causing the fire to spread and likely result in burns to your body.

Additional Info...
Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email

Other News in TVF&R

092014 scoggins valley wildland fire _2.jpg

Fire District Eclipse Preparations

Posted on: August 18, 2017
Almond Street Fire - 2_thumb.jpg

Firefighters Battle Aloha House Fire

Posted on: March 31, 2017
2016 Toy Drive.JPG

Spread Holiday Cheer for Children in Need

Posted on: November 17, 2016
Community Paramedic_thumb.jpg

Home Visits Enhance Patient Care

Posted on: November 8, 2016
IMG_4631.JPG

Newberg and TVF&R Join Forces

Posted on: July 1, 2016

Spread Holiday Cheer for Children in Need

Posted on: November 23, 2015
IMG_1677_Web.jpg

Smoke alarm alerts residents to small fire

Posted on: November 15, 2015
2015 Volunteer Firefighter graduates

TVF&R welcomes new volunteer firefighters

Posted on: November 11, 2015
Capture small.jpg

Raleigh Hills Station 70 Open House

Posted on: November 5, 2015
Go Pink.JPG_thumb.jpeg

TVF&R Firefighters ‘Go Pink’

Posted on: October 8, 2015
New-Station-70.jpg

TVF&R Opens New Station 70 in Raleigh Hills

Posted on: September 30, 2015

TVF&R Welcomes Its Newest Recruits

Posted on: February 3, 2015
rags.png

Got a Wood Refinishing Project?

Posted on: April 29, 2014
PROJ MISC BEAVERTON FORUM 2014 03 19 sm.jpg

Beaverton Community Vision Update

Posted on: March 17, 2014

TVF&R Turns 25!

Posted on: February 28, 2014
PulsePoint App

Happy Birthday PulsePoint!

Posted on: January 29, 2014